Skip to Content Top
Travel Documents

Obtaining Travel Documents in Houston, TX

It's important to know that as a general rule, any person who is not a U.S. citizen is subject to an immigration review each time he or she wishes to be readmitted into the United States from any place outside the U.S. This means that even if you have been admitted as a permanent resident and you have a green card, you are still subject to review by an immigration official. If the review determines that you are inadmissible, even if you were admissible before, you can be denied admission into the United States.

If you wish to seek admission or parole at a port of entry, you must have in your possession a valid and unexpired travel document (a green card, U.S. visa, advanced parole document) to present to the officer at the port of entry. Depending upon your immigration status, or if you have a pending application for an immigration benefit, different types of travel documents may be required if you wish to travel abroad and return to the United States lawfully. It's important that you apply for these documents prior to your departure from the United States.

If you travel outside the United States, you may experience severe consequences if you are currently in the process of applying for a green card. In general, if you are seeking a green card and depart the United States without obtaining the appropriate documentation (i.e. advance parole), you may be inadmissible to the United States when you try to return, or if you are admitted, you may be found to have abandoned your application.

The Three Types of Travel Documents

The Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is used to apply for the three types of travel documents which include:

  • Advance Parole – Authorizes temporary parole for a person into the U.S.
  • Refugee Travel Document – Issued to a person granted refugee or asylum status, or to a permanent resident who obtained a green card because they were a refugee or asylee.
  • Re-Entry Permit – This allows a permanent resident or a conditional resident to apply for admission into the U.S. after returning from abroad without having to obtain a returning resident visa from the U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Need legal assistance for travel documents? Contact Hira Law PLLC.

If you are looking to travel abroad and re-enter the United States, it's critical that you obtain the proper travel documents before you embark on your travels. If you fail to acquire the required travel documents, you could be denied re-entry into the United States and suffer other serious consequences. We urge you to contact a Houston immigration attorney from Hira Law PLLC for complete assistance with your travel documents. We can be reached at (713) 893-0474. We wish to help you return to your life and family in the U.S.

  • We Can Help Want to Stay in the USA?
    You have rights and we can help you understand them and how to make them work in your favor.
  • What You Need To Know Need a Visa?
    Getting a visa can be a complex process. We have the knowledge to help you secure the visa you need.
  • Request A Consultation Contact Us
    Find out how you can benefit from our experience and service in a case consultation with our attorney.

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy