Skip to Content Top

Filing for Visa Extensions in Houston

Need to stay longer in the U.S.? Our firm can help!

Every nonimmigrant visa has an expiration date. If you are visiting the United States and decide that you want or need to stay longer than your visa allows, you have the right to request an extension of your visa. You must meet certain requirements, however, in order for your request to be granted. These requirements are as follows, as provided by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • Your entry to the United States was lawful and you had a nonimmigrant visa at the time of admission
  • Your nonimmigrant is still valid
  • Your visa eligibility has not been revoked on the basis that you committed a crime
  • You have not been found to have violated any of the terms of your admission to the U.S.
  • Your passport is currently valid and will continue to be valid for the remainder of your stay in this country

A Houston immigration attorney from Hira Law PLLC can help you determine whether or not you meet all of these requirements and can assist you in completing and filing your Form I-539, Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status.

Can a visa extension be denied?

Failure to meet with any one of the requirements above will result in denial of your visa extension. Problems can also arise when you wait too long to request an extension. The USCIS recommends that you submit your application at least 45 days before your original visa term expires. This gives you plenty of time to receive an approval or denial before your visa is no longer valid. If you remain in the country after your visa expires, you will face deportation and removal proceedings, even with a pending application for extension.

Contact our Houston Immigration Lawyer for Help Today

Hira Law PLLC has the experience to counsel you through the visa extension process. We can help you expedite your application in order to ensure that you complete all the necessary steps and are approved before your current visa becomes invalid. We can also help you apply for a different visa type when it is most beneficial for you. Contact us today to learn more about our firm and how we can help.

  • We Can Help Want to Stay in the USA?
    You have rights and we can help you understand them and how to make them work in your favor.
  • What You Need To Know Need a Visa?
    Getting a visa can be a complex process. We have the knowledge to help you secure the visa you need.
  • Request A Consultation Contact Us
    Find out how you can benefit from our experience and service in a case consultation with our attorney.

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy