Skip to Content Top

Your Immigration Rights

Are You Aware of Your Rights? Let Hira Law PLLC Protect You!

As an immigrant or prospective immigrant, you should be aware of your rights. Hira Law PLLC can inform you of your rights and represent you in the event that your rights are being violated. Without the counsel and defense of a Houston immigration lawyer, you could face removal from the country when you have every right to stay. Take advantage of a case evaluation with our firm today to discuss your case and begin learning about your immigrant rights.

Your Right to Extend Your Stay

If you are currently in the U.S. on a visa, you may have the right to extend your visa or change to another type of visa. You have every right to request an extension if you want or need to stay in the U.S. past the expiration date of your original visa. The key to obtaining a successful extension is to make your request plenty of time before your current visa expires. You can also request to change to a different visa as long as you qualify for the new type of visa. Again, you need to give yourself plenty of time for this process to be completed before your current visa expires.

Your Right to an Adjustment of Status

Nonimmigrants who are married to a U.S. citizen or have U.S. citizen children may have the right to remain in the U.S. and apply for a green card. Category K visas are available to spouses and children who wish to join their family in the U.S. as soon as possible. The spouse or child will enter the U.S. as a nonimmigrant and be allowed to remain in the country until a visa number becomes available for lawful permanent residency. If you are in the country on a K visa and have complied with the terms of said visa, you do not deserve to be removed.

Your Right to Remain in the Country

If your visa has expired or you entered the U.S. illegally, you may have options to remain in the country. For example, immigrants who enter the country to escape persecution can file a request for asylum and withholding of removal, allowing them to remain in the country until a nonimmigrant visa or green card becomes available. Also, if the Department of Homeland Security or Immigration and Customs Enforcement places you in immigration detention, you may have the right to go before an immigration judge and fight your case to be released on bond.

Learn More from a Houston Immigration Attorney

If you are a U.S. immigrant or are looking to immigrate to the U.S. and need to learn about your rights, speak to our immigration lawyer in Houston as soon as possible. Attorney Randeep S. Hira has more than eight years of legal experience and will work personally on your case to ensure that you receive the highest quality counsel. Our firm has helped countless individuals reach their immigration goals and we can help you too. Contact us today to schedule your complimentary consultation.

 Continue Reading Read Less

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
We Can Help Want to Stay in the USA?
You have rights and we can help you understand them and how to make them work in your favor.