Skip to Content Top
Consular Processing

Need Legal Assistance With Consular Processing?

Immigration Legal Guidance at Each Step

The majority of immigrants who get a green card do so though consular processing, which involves going to a U.S. consulate in one's native country to apply for an immigrant visa and then going to an interview. There are some people, however, who are already inside the United States who would qualify for an adjustment of status. This process would enable them to stay within the United States for the entire process of receiving the status of a lawful permanent resident. If you do not qualify for this adjustment, or if you are outside of the United States, you may be able to get a green card through consular processing.

How Consular Processing Works

The first thing is to find out if you qualify for asylum or refugee status. If you do, you should likely apply for this first. Otherwise, to become a lawful permanent resident, you will need to be sponsored by a relative or employer. If you are going to be sponsored by a family member, a petition must be filed on your behalf by a family member who is either a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). If the petition gets accepted, you would then have to:

  • Wait for a detailed notice from the National Visa Center and follow the instructions
  • Go to a U.S. consulate or embassy in your native country in order to submit paperwork for an immigrant visa
  • Pass a medical examination
  • Attend a consular interview

If your application is denied, you may have a year in which to address certain problems or to turn in missing papers. If you get a visa, you have six months to enter the United States. Once you enter with your visa, you should get your green card in the mail within 45 days.

Contact Hira Law PLLC For Reliable Legal Representation in Houston, TX

This is just a very brief outline of a rather complex process. You can get the answers and the legal advice you need for consular processing when you work with a Houston immigration lawyer from Hira Law PLLC. Learn how our knowledge in this complicated area of law and our dedication to our clients can help you. Contact our Houston immigration lawyer today!

  • We Can Help Want to Stay in the USA?
    You have rights and we can help you understand them and how to make them work in your favor.
  • What You Need To Know Need a Visa?
    Getting a visa can be a complex process. We have the knowledge to help you secure the visa you need.
  • Request A Consultation Contact Us
    Find out how you can benefit from our experience and service in a case consultation with our attorney.

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy