Skip to Content Top


Immigration FAQ


Immigration is a complicated and lengthy process that should not be attempted without the guidance and counsel of an immigration lawyer. Hira Law PLLC has handled all types of immigration cases and is more than capable of helping you gain legal entry into the United States. Consult a Houston immigration lawyer from our firm as soon as possible to learn exactly what we can do for you. Attorney Hira handles each case himself and will gladly answer any of your questions. Read through some of the most commonly asked questions below before filling out our case evaluation and speaking with an attorney who can help.


Hira Law PLLC has helped countless clients obtain legal entrance into the United States. Whether you are visiting, looking for work, or applying for permanent residency, we can help! If you have additional questions, including questions about the Immigration Reform Bill of 2013 — also known as the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act — contact our firm. Attorney Hira has more than eight years of legal experience and speaks multiple languages, including Punjabi, Hindi, German, French, and Spanish. Request a complimentary consultation with an immigration attorney who truly cares. We offer personal service and comprehensive counsel for each of our clients.

  • Immigration

    • What are the different types of immigration visas?
      There are dozens of different visas available for different purposes, but these can all be categorized into nonimmigrant and immigrant visas. Nonimmigrant visas include student visas, travel visas, and a number of business visas. Immigrant visas are also known as green cards and can be obtained after an immigrant has entered on a nonimmigrant visa and has met certain requirements, or through family-based immigration.
    • How can I get a green card?

      The two most common ways of getting a green card are through family sponsorship or by requesting an adjustment of status. If you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he or she may be able to sponsor you for entry into the United States and for permanent residency. Otherwise, you can enter the country on a nonimmigrant visa and request an adjustment of status. The process of obtaining a green card can be very competitive since the government only gives out a certain number each year, so do not hesitate to speak with an immigration lawyer as soon as possible.

    • Can my family join me in the United States?

      Once you have obtained citizenship or naturalization in the United States, you may be able to sponsor your family members to receive green cards. They may be able to enter the country on a nonimmigrant visa until a visa number becomes available. If you are a green card holder yourself, you can help your family members apply for green cards, but they must wait for a visa number to become available before entering the country.

    • Do I need a visa to visit the United States?

      Most Canadian citizens, as well as citizens from counties that are part of the Visa Waiver Program, can enter the United States without a visa. All you need is a valid, machine-readable passport. Visitors from all other countries must obtain a travel visa, business visa, or other nonimmigrant visa in order to visit the U.S.

    • What is naturalization? How do I become a citizen?

      Naturalization is the process through which lawful permanent residents can become United States citizens. After a green card holder has resided in the U.S. for at least five years, you may be eligible to take the English and civics tests, take an oath and become a naturalized U.S. citizen. You may also become a naturalized citizen after three years of lawful permanent residency if your spouse is a U.S. citizen.

    • How do I request asylum?

      The U.S. offers asylum to anyone who flees to the U.S. due to persecution. This persecution can be due to race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. An immigrant can request asylum at their port of entry and must file Form I-859, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal within a year of their entrance into the country.

    • Can I extend my visa?

      In order to extend your stay in the United States, you must file Form I-539, Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status before your current authorized stay date expires. If you wait too long to file your request, you could be removed from the country before your request is granted. Hire an immigration attorney right away to help you complete and file your request on time.