Skip to Content Top

International Adoptions in Texas

Obtain Legal Counsel for Intercountry Adoption

The international adoption process is complex and requires the counsel of an experienced immigration attorney. Along with the already complex adoption process, foreign children must obtain an immigrant visa before they can be united with their new parents here in the United States. The best way to ensure that you take all the necessary steps for your adopted child's immigration is by consulting a Houston immigration attorney. Hira Law PLLC understands the intercountry immigration process and can help you obtain an immigrant visa for your child.

Steps in the International Adoption Process

As a U.S. citizen looking to adopt from another country, you will need to undergo one of three different processes. The Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption — or the "Hague Process" —protects the best interests of you and your future adopted child. You will go through a Hague Accredited Adoption Service Provider (ASP), undergo a home study, and apply to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) to ensure that your family is suitable for intercountry adoption. Once your application is approved, the child you wish to adopt must be approved for immigration by the USCIS. The child may then be adopted, but an immigrant visa must be obtained for them in order for them to enter the country.

The second process is the orphan process. If the child you wish to adopt does not meet the requirements for the Hague Process and is an orphan according to the USCIS definition, he or she may be adopted through the orphan process. The child's parents must both be dead or have abandoned the child, and the child must be under 16. An orphan child older than 16 but less than 18 years old can be adopted through this process if their younger sibling under 16 has already been adopted by the prospective parents.

The third process is the immediate relative process. If you obtain custody of a child under 16 or complete the adoption process before they turn 16, the child can immigrate as your son or daughter. You can also adopt a child who is over 16, but not yet 18, if you have already adopted their sibling who is under 16 years old. Speak with an immigration attorney right away to learn which of these three options applies to your individual situation.

Hire an International Adoption Attorney in Houston

Hira Law PLLC has handled immigration cases of all kinds and remains up to date on any changes to the law. We understand the laws and regulations for international adoption and work with the USCIS on a regular basis. Retain a lawyer from our firm today for compassionate and comprehensive counsel throughout the adoption process. We can minimize mistakes and delays in order to expedite your child's immigration. Contact us today to learn more!

  • We Can Help Want to Stay in the USA?
    You have rights and we can help you understand them and how to make them work in your favor.
  • What You Need To Know Need a Visa?
    Getting a visa can be a complex process. We have the knowledge to help you secure the visa you need.
  • Request A Consultation Contact Us
    Find out how you can benefit from our experience and service in a case consultation with our attorney.

Contact Us for Your Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy